analytics

Contact

If you are interested in my work for any reason or you want to contact me, please send me a mail to jesusolivan.mail@gmail.com


Sunday, January 1, 2012

The alentejo, a landscape

Jesus  Olivan. "Alentejo cerca de Juromenha". 2011. Oil on canvas 130 x 97 cm.
I travel to Alentejo, Portugal,  several times by year.

It is a region sparsely populated with a wonderful landscape. Olive trees, cork oaks, vineyards and fields of wheat or corn, pasture with cows, sheep or horses are for the visitor as a land of milk and honey.

Alentejo can be very hard for living in. I wanted to show the difficulties of living there in a day without sunshine. As I painted I used to read Saramago's novel "levantado do chao". Some of the elements, the absence of people, the gates of the large estates are shown in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment